Last week I found my darling girl doing something she had been instructed not to do...
Ahhh, the magic of Christmas through the eyes of a 3 year old.
I've been asked at least a million times, "Is it Christmas today???!" And while I answer for the millionth time, "Nope, not today!" my mind goes back to myself as a child, lying quietly in bed so that Santa Claus would think I was sleeping...or getting up early with my little brother, while Mom and Dad slept, to peek in our stockings on Christmas morning. I remember packing up the van and traveling to Grandma's to see family and stuff our tummies full of cookies and sweets. It was a magical time.
It's tough sometimes, as a parent, to take time to notice the small things, and do the small things. Taking my son for a walk down the Lego aisle at Target is sometimes more than we have time for, but the excitement and joy on his face is worth it. Chasing my 3 year old as she runs toward Santa's house at the mall (which turned into me dragging her toward Santa's chair) is something I'll look back on during her teenage years and wish for again.
And so, we're doing the small things at our house this year. We're trying to capture each project and Christmas carol on camera, and making memories that will hopefully last a lifetime for these little ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment